Monday, December 1, 2014

Swatches and Review: Starlooks Ultra Gem Pencils in Ultra Violet

Hello beautiful readers! I hope your Thanksgivings have been full of love, a ton of food, and a lack of Black Friday injuries.  Today I'll be talking about the Starlooks Ultra Gem Pencils in Ultra Violet, which I got in my October Boxycharm.  If you haven't heard of Boxycharm, it's a monthly subscription box for $21 a month that brings you 4-5 FULL SIZED beauty products to your doorstep. You can check it out by visiting their website and my referral link is here if you would like to subscribe.

Starlooks Ultra Gem Pencils in Ultra Violet
Starlooks Ultra Gem Pencils in Ultra Violet

According the the Starlooks website, this pencil was also featured in the November Ipsy subscription, but I did not receive it in my Ipsy bag. Here's the description provided by Boxycharm:

Created with a magnificent sparkle finish, each unique pencil will add a gorgeous, micro-glitter pop to your eyes! Our How To: Each Ultra Gem Pencil is so versatile, soft, and creamy that they can be easily used as liners as well as eye shadow bases! $14.00/ 20oz.

I don't tend to use too much pencil eyeliner, and don't venture out from the few brands of pencils I already own, so I was very excited to see if this one will be my next favorite. Head after the jump for swatches and a wear test of the pencil!

The Gem Pencil is a classic wooden eyeliner that is sharpen-able (that's not a word.) 

Starlooks Ultra Gem Pencils in Ultra Violet
Starlooks Ultra Gem Pencils in Ultra Violet
I was pleasantly surprised at how soft the pencil actually was. I was expecting more tugging but the eyeliner glided quickly while I was making the swatch:

swatch of Starlooks ultra violet
Swatch of Ultra Violet

It swatched to a beautiful blue-ish color with silver glitter in it.  The glitter chunks are a litttle bigger than I expected, so I was concerned about it irritating my eyes or making the application difficult, but I had high hopes for this eyeliner so I decided to take it for a spin. I wore it as an eyeliner over a simple nude eyeshadow look:

Starlooks Ultra Gem Pencils in Ultra Violet
... This is what disappointment looks like

Starlooks Ultra Gem Pencils in Ultra Violet


Full face look with Ultra Gem
... I was so sad.  If you could not tell from the first or second swatch, the eyeliner went on sheer and actually greasy.  It might been that buttery feeling from when I swatched translating over to greasiness but I cannot imagine wearing this as an eyeshadow base like the Boxycharm card suggests. I can already imagine how much sliding and creasing it would make my shadow. The glitter was not chunky enough to irritate my eyes but it made the application process graining and slightly uncomfortable. This eyeliner retails for $17 USD on the Starlooks website which as of now is the only place you can buy Starlooks products.  I would not buy this product on my own if it was $5, let alone $17.

Did you get a Starlooks product in your Boxycharm or Ipsy? How did you feel about it? I'd love to read your comments!

-Xoxo Lily

This product was sent to the blogger through a paid subscription service.

2 comments:

I would love to hear your feedback and experiences!