Sunday, June 1, 2014

Tutorial: Foundation Application featuring Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation

Hello beautiful readers! Foundation is perhaps one of the most important steps of a makeup process.  It allows your complexion to be a blank canvas to play with, whether it be blush, bronzer, or contour. This post will take you step my step through my foundation process, from bare face to evenly applied foundation.
Bare face no makeup
Bare face!

We’re going to start with a freshly washed and moisturized face.  I wash my face with clean, cool water in the morning, while using face wash (right now it is clean and clear morning burst) at night, moisturizing with CeraVe in a tub after both washings. Leave it for 3-5 mins so it can be absorbed and get dressed, do your hair, etc. Now on to building that perfect look!

Once you’ve given your moisturizer enough time to settle, you want to prime your skin in order to give your foundation a smooth area to go on.  I currently use Maybelline’s BabySkin poreless primer.  It doesn’t exactly have the most appealing name (Babyskin? Really?) but for the price it does wonderfully as a primer, although keep it mind it has been said that it makes oily skin greasy, so definitely keep an eye on that return policy ;)  Because the pores on my cheeks are larger than the rest of my face, I only apply the primer in that area.  Remember to PAT the primer on, rather than smooth it on, especially if it is your goal to blur those pesky pores.  You can always smooth over it after the patting.

Prime your face with Maybelline Babyskin Poreless Primer
Maybelline babyskin poreless primer
Once you’re all primed and ready to go, give it another 3-5 mins to sink in, so you’re not pushing the primer around before it gets the chance to settle.  While I wait, I like to do my eyebrows.  Bonus Tip: warming your eyelash curler will help your curl hold better.  I prefer to stick it in my bra so it gets warm but not hot, while others blow dry it. PLEASE give it some time to cool if you decide to go the blow dry route!
eyebrows done after applying face primer
Primer applied! 
Now on top the good stuff! Once you’ve built your foundation for your.. foundation… now it’s time to apply!  Now here is where it gets a little bit crazy.  Everyone knows to put on powder after foundation to set, but what about BEOFRE? WHAT. BLASPHAMY YOU SAY? Actually it’s genius.  Thanks to this wonderful video by beauty guru Wayne Goss (See below)



It’s recommended you use loose powder, because it is more finely ground than pressed powder with no binding agents, but pressed powder is also acceptable as long as you make sure to use a light hand to prevent caking. Personally, I use a translucent powder to avoid heavy coverage, but if you’re a fan of full coverage, colored powder is advised! I currently use NYX HD Studio Translucent Finishing Powder, but have used ELF HD Translucent Finish Powder which is great as well.
NYX HD Studio Translucent Finishing Powder
NYX HD Translucent Powder
Apply a very thin layer with a light, fluffy powder brush. You want just enough to brush across your face. The powder creates a smooth surface (along with that primer) to allow your foundation to cling on to while giving you a flawless finish. I currently use Real Technique Powder Brush which I am OBSESSED with how soft it is. Sweep across your face gently!
Applying Elf HD Translucent powder to my face with Real Technique powder brush
Real Technique Powder Brush!
Next, the foundation! I prefer a light coverage foundation because they won’t muddle my freckles. I am currently using Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation in 5.0. It’s a wonderfully light foundation that doesn’t sit on your skin.  I have combination skin and this foundation doesn’t cling to my dry patches OR make me oily, I’m in love. One pump is enough to cover my enough face.
One pump of Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation in 5.0
One pump of Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation in 5.0
Then, Dot the foundation using clean fingers on to your face.  I use bigger/more concentrated dots in the area that I need more coverage in, and you can always apply more.

Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation on my face
Foundation all over

Next, blend! I use a damp Real Technique Miracle Complexion Sponge (run under water until the sponge is fully expanded, then squeeze excess water out) to stipple the dotted foundation. Careful not to rub! Bounce the sponge on your face to help create that streak-less application. What’s great about the sponge is that it has a pointed side for the pesky hard to reach corners and a large flat side to facilitate blending what you need (cream contour, etc.). The dampness not only prevents it from absorbing your product as much, but also sheers the foundation for even layers when you’re building.

Blending Urban Decay Naked Foundation in 5.0 with a Real Technique Miracle complexion sponge on my face
Using Real Technique Miracle Complexion Sponge to stipple

After bouncing that sponge the foundation should be nice and even across your face.
My face with urban decay naked skin foundation in 5.0
All spread out!
If you have spots that you need more coverage, the foundation layers nicely in order to cover any problem spots.
My face with urban decay naked skin foundation in 5.0 side view
side view of foundation applied
Continue with the rest of your face! Below are my fully done face minus lip color. Make sure to give your foundation time to dry before doing your blush/contour/concealer over it to avoid moving the foundation. I personally don’t reapply powder after foundation because my skin isn’t too oily, but if you feel the need for a more matte, oil stopping look, a light dusting of powder on top.
Full face with urban decay naked skin foundation in 5.0
full face with blush

Full face with urban decay naked skin foundation in 5.0
All done!
The blush I’m wearing is NYX cream blush in Hibiscus applied by finger and blended with the Real Technique Stippling brush.

Thanks for reading! All products mentioned in the post can be found through retailers such as Amazon, Ulta, Target, CVS, and other drugstores. There will be a review for the Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation coming soon so keep an eye out on the blog!

Update 10-15-14: So I FINALLY picked up a Beauty Blender because I think Real Technique might have changed up the way they make their sponge (See Below).  It worth it, it really is. However, I don't think its SUPER IMPORTANT for you go run out right now to get the BB if you're happy with RT (again, unless the change up made the material worse), but if you're on the fence, I highly suggest you go ahead and cave ;)

Real technique complexion sponge comparasion
On the left is the RT sponge when it FIRST released, on the left is the most recent batch
Photo courtesy of  The Beauty Toolbox

Xoxo-Lily

All products used in this post were purchased by me

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback and experiences!