Sunday, May 4, 2014

Review and Swatches: NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires

Hello beautiful people!  I hope where ever you’re reading this from the weather is nice and not a smoldering 95 degrees F like it is here this entire week.  Obviously to fight this heat, Ulta is the place to be.  After eyeing the Matte Lip Creams from NYX I finally got the chance to pick one up; there are so many choices, how do I pick just one? These Lip Creams are named after major cities, such as Amsterdam, San Paulo, and Buenos Aires, and what better choice than Buenos Aires since I will be there this summer to study abroad?

NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires
NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires
According to the NYX website, the matte lip cream is “Neither lipstick nor lip gloss…goes on silky smooth and sets to a matte finish. [It] is surprisingly durable and…also moisturizing”.


I have personally never used a lip cream and honestly was concerned about how NYX will make this work, boasting it to be both moisturizing and matte.  It smells faintly of vanilla cupcakes, which is very pleasant. The lip cream itself is very creamy straight out of the tube, which I also really enjoy.  It looks like a heavy mousse on the classic doe-foot applicator which actually made it very easy to apply (although if you wanted to apply with a brush it’s doable with the risk of it looking streaky).

NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires doe foot Applicator
NYX Matte Lip Cream Applicator

Upon application, the NYX matte lip cream went on BEAUTIFULLY.  I mean like applying-fluffy-clouds-to-your-lips beautiful.  The pink-peach color went on opaque on the first swipe without clinging on to any patches on my lips.  I have never had anything with a doe foot applicator apply like this (really, never).  the creamy texture made it very easy to build without becoming cakey or heavy on my lips. On to the swatches!

Arm Swatch of NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires
NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires Swatched on bare arm

lip swatch of NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires
NYX Matte Lip Cream swatched on my lips

Buenos Aires looks almost completely pink against my yellow undertone skin, but still sort of nude-ish.  As a friend Amanda put it, it’s as if I had picked up something that was made for someone else.  Regardless, this is a beautiful light color to help welcome in Spring, or you know to wear whenever the heck you want because screw rules!  It did settle into my lip lines after a while, as you can see a bit in the lip swatch; next time I’ll try to wear a nude/clear lip liner under to see if it helps out, but right now I have Burt’s Bee lip balm with Pomegranate Oil on underneath.  The Burt’s Bee keeps my lips a little more hydrated.  Even though the NYX website claims it stays moisturizing, I didn’t feel that it was particularly hydrating, but it wasn’t as drying as a matte formula would be expected to be. 

Full face picture with NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires
NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires on lips with bare face
The face picture is my complete bare face with just NYX Matte Lip Cream in Buenos Aires.  Freckles galore! As another friend Nicole suggested, the lip cream is so light that with strong brows or a gentle brown smokey eye it would really emphasis your features.  However, as you can see in this picture, it washes you out alone because your eyes has nothing to focus on.

There are 22 shades of NYX Matte Lip Creams in total and you can find on the NYX Cosmetics website (25% off your first purchase when you sign up for their emails!), Ulta (Here’s a $3.50 off >$10 purchase), Target, and select CVS stores!  Thanks for reading!

Xoxo-Lily
Items in this post has been purchased by me for personal use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback and experiences!