Thursday, May 8, 2014

Review and Swatches: NYX Macaron Lippies

Have you ever just had the urge to rock green, blue, or grey lips but have a hard time looking for affordable, non-halloween store quality lipsticks? WELL LOOK NO FURTHER.  NYX Cosmetics recently released a new line of lipsticks called the Macaron Lippies, including 12 unconventional lip colors to pick from!

NYX Macaron Lippies in Chambord, Black sesame, blue velvet, violet, pistachio, and orange blossom
NYX Macaron Lippies in Chambord, Black sesame, blue velvet, violet, pistachio, and orange blossom

NYX Macaron Lippies in Chambord, Black sesame, blue velvet, violet, pistachio, and orange blossom
The 12 colors include rose, orange blossom, key lime, blue velvet, violet, pistachio, citron, earl grey, lavender, black sesame, coconut, and chambord.  the NYX website describes these lippies as “…the creamiest shades you’ll ever use. Our cruelty-free formula is packed with pigment and has a satin matte finish for long-wearing resilience.” Here we’ll talk about the 6 shades that are pictured above. Warning: this is a picture heavy review!
When these Macaron lippies were released I was so excited! Crazy fun colors without breaking the bank, accessible, AND cruelty-free? Sign me up! I knew that not all the colors will be flattering for me so I only picked up half the collection, goodness knows that a pastel lavender is NOT going to look good on my skin.
Honestly, I was a little worried about the opaque-ness and smoothness of these colors.  It worried me that I was going to come out with Halloween store grade lips because where else do you get to see bright blue and black lipstick?! Well I am extremely happy to say THEY. ARE. AAAWESOME.  For the most part, these lippies are creamy, smooth, and applies like a dream.  I can only speak for the six I tried, but I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

I wore violet to a wonderful Relay for Life event to see my boyfriend’s mother speak that spanned from 8:30AM to 2 PM. And went WITHOUT REAPPLICATION.  It did fade, as expected, but it faded to a nice pink stain on my lips.  Reapplication was also easy, since the lipstick was so creamy there was no patchiness. Here’s violet on the day I wore it:

NYX Macaron Lippie swatch in Violet
NYX Macaron Lippie in Violet
Another color I took a trip out with is blue velvet.  I had some qualms about wearing the blue lipstick out because… how many people do you see walking around a university campus with blue lipstick? I had to pep talk myself for a bit… and then got some more pep talking from my internet friends (I love you all.), and eventually I walked out my door and IT FELT GOOD.  The lipstick gives you confidence, and like miss Samantha Ravndahl said to me, “the worst thing that can happen is that you'll look so fly people will be intimidated.” (Yo I’m sure you’ve heard of her blog but here it is: Batalash). So…here is where I wore the macaron lippie in blue velvet out:
NYX Macaron Lippie swatch in Blue Velvet
NYX Macaron Lippie in Blue Violet
Love love love it.  One complaint I had with blue velvet is that it did start to settle in my lip lines after an hour or so.  It wasn’t too bad but if that’s something you’re concerned keep that in mind. This was just as creamy as violet, and boy is it OPAQUE.
Now on to the rest of the swatches:
NYX Macaron Lippie swatch in Black Sesame
NYX Macaron Lippie in Black Sesame

NYX Macaron Lippie swatch in Pistachio
NYX Macaron Lippie in Pistachio

NYX Macaron Lippie swatch in Orange Blossom
NYX Macaron Lippie in Orange Blossom
NYX Macaron Lippie swatch in Chambord
NYX Macaron Lippie in Chambord



NYX Macaron Lippies swatches in Chambord, Black sesame, blue velvet, violet, pistachio, and orange blossom
Swatches NYX Macaron Lippies in Chambord, Black sesame, blue velvet, violet, pistachio, and orange blossom
Overall, these colors were wonderful to wear.  Unfortunately, orange blossom was the most difficult to apply and came out the most patchy.  I will to give them all a run out eventually to see how they wear and check back with y’all.

On the website, the description claims it to be a "satin matte" finish.  While I would not describe it as matte, it is by no means glossy and does have a satin finish.

You can find these NYX Macaron Lippies at the NYX website and the Ulta website (it’s only available on the website, not in stores at least for now). Thanks for reading!

Xoxo-Lily


Items in this post has been purchased by me for personal use.

2 comments:

I would love to hear your feedback and experiences!