Thursday, March 6, 2014

NYX Butter Lipstick in Licorice

Happy Thursday! It's almost the end of the week... Hang in there.  Today's review is going to be NYX's new line of butter lipstick in 'licorice'.

NYX Butter Lipstick in Licorice
NYX Butter lipstick in 'Licorice'
Photo from NYXCosmetics.com


The butter lipsticks were released January of this year, and are listed for $6.00 on their Website. Here's the description as seen on the NYX website:

The unique texture seems to melt onto the lips, giving full, yet lightweight coverage with a luxurious satin finish. 
• What it is:  Full coverage lipstick that feels like it melts onto the lips.
• What it does:  Adds a pop of color to lips.
• Why we love it:  This lightweight formula is non-sticky and deposits high impact color with just one stroke.
• How to use:  Apply directly on bare lips or over lip liner/primer for more pigmentation.



I have always felt like descriptions written by the companies themselves tend to be exaggerated and overly generous about the product itself, which makes sense because they are trying to sell it to us (which let's face it we would do with or without those fancy adjectives.) however, I felt that NYX did do the lipstick justice in their fluffy descriptions.  The lipstick is pigmented and opaque on the first swipe.  Even more important, the lipstick doesn't sit on your lips like dried glue or a sheet of armor.  The lightness of the lipcolor really surprised me, considering how pigmented it is.  I have always been a big critic of lipsticks because of the tendency for my lips to feel dry and chapped after application, but I didn't feel that way at all with this lipstick.  One thing I want to say is that after wearing it for a few hours (8 to be exact), it started settling into my lip lines.  But don't be too concerned over that, my lips tends to be dry, and it has been EIGHT HOURS since I've re-applied (I also haven't eaten too much messy food, sushi fits in my mouth without disturbing my lips :)) I don't wear lip liner or primer before application, but I do exfoliate and apply a thin layer of lip balm before lip color.  So enough talking, on to the swatches!

arm swatch of NYX Butter Lipstick in Licorice


bare lips
Bare Lips


Butter licorice on lips in artificial light
Licorice in artificial light


NYX Butter Lipstick Licorice in natural light
Licorice in natural light
As you can see, the color is much MUCH less of a purple-ish color and more of a darker red color.  I would never trust the tube color or the swatch picture posted on the NYX display. Overall I give this lipstick a 10/10 on pigment and feel, and a 8/10 on color lasting. (Keep in mind that the length of time that a specific lipstick has varies within the line.  For example, NYX Butter lipstick in Hunk lasts MUCH longer… look out for a post in the future!)  You can pick up this lipstick and the rest of the line at Target, Ulta, and selected CVS in the United States.  NYXCosmetics.com also ships worldwide, and offers 25% off your first order!


XOXO- Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback and experiences!