Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Beauty Tips for Fall Weather - Drugstore Edition

It's sweater weather! With November coming in, San Diego finally feels like Fall-- Starbucks red cups everywhere, the smell of cinnamon, Christmas merchandise overflowing Targets... With the change of season comes a change in leaves and in makeup routine.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who's skin/sinuses/entire face changes when it get's to be cold out.  The cold brings in dry skin, chapped lips, all that fun stuff... but that doesn't mean you have to give up wearing your foundation, or your favorite matte lipstick!

What I wish fall looked like
What Fall actually looks like 
Not that I'm complaining about the beautiful weather here in Socal, just sometimes I'd like to snuggle up with a good hot cocoa and look at the leaves fall, ya know? On to the good stuff (read: makeup) after the cut!


Let's start with the basics.  Like I mentioned earlier, Fall brings in changes, especially to our skin.  Those with dry skin will notice it getting even drier, and for someone like me with oily/combo skin, my skin gets increasingly more sensitive.  During the Spring/Summer I might have been able to get by with a light moisturizer for both day and night, but with Winter quickly approaching, CeraVe in a tub will be a life saver.  This thicker moisturizer will help bring moisture back into your skin to keep your makeup in place.

CeraVe, in a tub
On to primers! Personally I enjoy using Silicone based primers (e.g. Maybelline Babyskin Primer) because I have massive pores on my cheeks. Tapping the primer on will help your pores look less visible.  I also enjoy the smooth feeling that silicone based primers give to my skin-- but many people dislike it for this reason.  if silicone based isn't your thing, another drugstore option is NYX HD Studio Photogenic Primer, which is a water-based face primer.

Maybelline Babyskin Primer
Picture from my Foundation Tutorial here
For foundation, I like light coverage that could be build up on, which would be perfect for winter. You want your skin to be able to breath and you don't want something that will cling to your dry patches.  Maybelline's Dream Fresh BB Cream is moisturizing, provides a light coverage which actually is decently easy to build up to medium coverage, and doesn't make your skin feel like it's going to flake off your face. BB cream is also convenient to throw on when you run out the door from spending that extra 10 mins under your warm blankets.

You can find this BB cream at any drugstore, Ulta, and Amazon.com
For that dewy look all the way through the Winter, give NYX Stick Blushes a try. It's got a beautiful finish and makes your cheeks look dewy but not oily.  I'm wearing Hibiscus below and it's one of my absolute favorite blushes.  I apply with the Real Technique Stippling Brush, but a finger will do just as well. Just apply in a tapping motion to blend the blush out, and build as needed.

Wearing NYX Stick Brush in HibiscusPicture from my Foundation Tutorial here
In my opinion, the foundation/skin is the hardest part to work with when the weather changes.  The next hardest part are definitely the lips. Bottom line is-- DRINK A LOT OF WATER.  This not only helps your general health, but it keeps your skin and lips looking healthy and not dehydrated.

Exfoliation will be the next important thing to keep in mind. Whether your into shiny gloss or the mattest of the matte lipsticks, smooth lips will help the color stay without accentuating flakes.  There are wonderful recipes for homemade scrubs at home, but my absolute favorite is ELF Lip Exfoliator. It's $3. THREE DOLLARS.  It's in the shape of a lipstick bullet is it's SUPER easy to use, and it has a sugary taste to it.  I love this exfoliator. So if you're not a DIY type of person, just go get this. really. right now.

ELF Lip Exfoliator ($3)
After you scrubbed those beautiful lips, you want to lather one the moisturizer! I like to exfoliate in the morning, then put on some chapstick so while I'm doing the rest of my face my lips have time to soak it up.  I'm currently using Burt's Bee's Pomegranate Oil Lip Balm.  It's moisturizing, but not sticky, and just thin enough that I actually wear it under my lipstick. I would suggest a heavier moisturizer at night, like coating your lips in Vaseline after chapstick to lock the moisture in, but the Burt's is perfect in the morning and everyday wear.

Burt's Bee Pomegranate Oil Lip Balm
Last but not least, I really love wearing a lip primer before lipstick. It's been pretty largely discussed whether lip primer actually helps with application/longevity of a lip color.  I really do think it does, after wearing several lipsticks that tend to slide around all day with primer, all of a sudden it's much longer lasting.  With your frequent hydrating and the cold wind blowing in your face, you're going to want to make sure that lipstick stays in place.  I love NYX Lip Primer.  It comes in Nude and Deep Nude, which I don't believe would make a large difference, but for what it's worth I use Nude.

NYX Lip Primers in Nude and Deep Nude

Then pop on your favorite lip color and BOOM you're done!  I hope this has helped you welcome in the colder weathers without sacrificing your favorite products or breaking the bank.  I would love to know if you have any tips for the change of seasons, or your favorite products you like to rotate in during this time, comment below!

-XOXO Lily













No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback and experiences!